Monday, November 9, 2009

Wittenberg University

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to take a minute to let everyone know just how proud I am to be a Wittenberg Alumna! Last night's episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition was located in Beavercreek, OH; between Dayton & Springfield & home of Wright Patt Airforce Base. The lucky family was a man who was born in Vietnam during the war to an Airforce member & a vietnemese woman. He contracted polio & the Airforce brought him to the U.S. where he was adopted. He currently works at Wright Patt Airforce Base as a computer guru & also mentors victims of the Iraq war who are now wheelchair bound. In addition, he plays on a wheelchair basketball team & works with kids who are also wheelchair bound.

So how did Wittenberg become a part of this? Well, in addition to having students in Beavercreek that week helping to build his family a new home, my school gave the family 4 full-tuition scholarships for their children, currently ages 1-6. It is valued at over $500,000 & believed to be the largest dollar amount ever given by a school on the show!

I just had to share this with everyone..... it is definitely a VERY proud moment for our school!

Hope everyone is well!

Erin

4 comments:

Steve said...

That is very cool Erin.

Hope your feeling better!

Randi said...

I watched; pretty touching; awesome house.

Erin said...

Thanks Uncle Steve!

To update everyone who's not "Facebooking" right now.... I had a quick surgery today to remove a polinidol abscess at the end of my tailbone. In & out in about an hour including all the paperwork & I am VERY excited right now b/c I can sit down w/no pain for the first time since Wednesday of last week!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I'm sorry I missed the episode.