Sunday, December 21, 2008

Wintery Graduation Adventure!

Sean here, with your Graduation weekend extravaganza news!

My cousin Kirt graduated from Ferris State University on Saturday with a degree in Professional Golf Management. We've been getting all of the wintery precipitation before it moves onto the mid-Atlantic so here is the story of how all the Rouhiers made it from Ohio to Big Rapids, Michigan.

Liz and I planned to leave on Friday morning from Columbus, but on Thursday her Dad and my Dad called (within 2 minutes of each other) to warn us of the incoming ice storm. So, Liz and I packed our things very quickly and scooted up to Toledo to say with her dad late Thursday night. Then came Friday morning, after all the ice had landed and changed to 4-5 inches of snow in Michigan. My father has done the calculating and we averaged 37 miles an hour from NW Ohio to Big Rapids, Michigan. Not a plow hit the Interstates there until probably 1 PM. It was very icy, impossible to know which lane you were in and altogether unsettling. A journey that should have taken about 3.5 hours actually took 6. Keep in mind that Kirt had to be out of his apartment on Friday, so Nancy and Steve Mowery took a commercial van and a Dodge Durango to move Kirt's stuff.

We made it in one piece on Friday before learning that much more snow would be coming late Saturday night. So we went to graduation early Saturday morning. Oh, I forgot to mention that we all had our gifts with us for FAMILY CHRISTMAS! So, after graduation we opened our gifts, packed up our cars, and retreated to the (relative) security of Lansing, Michigan for graduation dinner at Bennigan's. (The story of how we were lost trying to find Bennigan's will be told another day). Eventually we made it back after dinner to reminisce over Christmas past and celebrate Kirt's graduation with the fine Scotch that was in my stocking!

The family is moving back to Ohio today through wind gusts around 25 mph and blowing snow. Everyone except Liz and I left around 8:30 and we're leaving here around 10. Hopefully, everyone will be safe and sound in Ohio by dusk this evening. Post any comments or questions that cross your mind!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an adventure! Good luck getting home!

Randi said...

WE ARE ALL HOME SAFELY and I couldn't have posted the weekend adventure any better. BUT...my, my....

We all were unnerved and white-knuckling it Friday. The Blazer was in 4 wheel drive the whole way and there were a couple of times when we still slipped/slided.
Erin rode with my folks and we met them at the rest area in Coldwater, MI. Safety in numbers you know! Plus 10 out of 11 of us had our cell phones and we sure used our minutes.

Traveling today was better than Friday but still not the best. Paulding is still very ice coated. Kinda picturesque (sp?).

One good thing is that I didn't lose a personal day as school was closed Fri.!

Momma Becker said...

I'm glad you are all home safely. It's sounds like an awful ride.

Randi said...

We're closed tomorrow, too....

Erin said...

We had a weekend in Michigan?! Oh yeah.... I vaguely remember....

Sorry, I'm so beyond tired I don't even know what day it is! I got home Sunday at 2:30, promptly fell asleep for an hour & a half, then got up to go to work at Things Remembered at 5:00.....

Now it's back to the daily grind at work....