Saturday, April 12, 2008

Miami Beach

Checking in from another part of the country: I was in Miami Beach for two nights along with 300 of my closest pediatric psychologist friends. I officially went with 5 other girls from my lab and my advisor, but knew quite a few other people there as well.

Here we are presenting on the first evening at poster session #1.









And a gorgeous view of Miami from the hotel:









The next morning we decided to forego some talks and spend some time on the beach. The forecast was a high of 86 in Miami and not so humid that I felt like I was melting. The water was aqua. And, I wore plenty of sunscreen so I didn't get burned.









Next was the afternoon session. I presented a poster with some of my master's data, listened to an awesome speaker about child health care, and my lab lounged by the pool during a lull in the presentations.









To end the excursion, my current externship placement, Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital, took us out for a "thank-you" dinner. A stay at the beach would not be complete without a mojito either! The two girls in the photo with me are Soumitri and Susie. They are third years like me and my closest grad school friends. :)









All in all, Miami was a fun place to visit, even though the trip was short. It was exactly what you would expect: neon lights, villas along the water, valet parking at fancy hotels left and right, and I kept expecting Horatio Sanz from CSI: Miami to pop out of the woodwork with his requisite sunglasses.

9 comments:

Lizzie Jones said...

It looks (and sounds) like you had one memorable trip. Good for you!

Randi said...

Cool...glad this was a work and play trip!!

Sean said...

I can't believe Horatio Sans has been mentioned on this blog....

Looks fantastic in Miami. Did you guys put the Will Smith song on your iPods??? Mojito's came up on our trip too, but I never made it across the street from our hotel for happy hour so no Mojito's for me.

Lizzie Jones said...

Sean,
Mojitos does not have an apostrophe. I'm just sayin'...

Anonymous said...

No Will Smith, but every single cab we rode in was playing Light FM music. Very strange.

I also had to use my high school Spanish skills with one of the housekeeping ladies. Glad it finally came to good use!

Robin said...

The beach looks delicious!! I wish I had been there too. But, I had fun playing with my grandkittens and visiting your hubby while you were away. It was strange being at your house and not seeing you.

Randi said...

So...what was Nick up to while Linda was gone? He/We/Sean needs to get him on 'the blog'.

Anonymous said...

Nick hung out with some friends and cleaned. I've tried to get him to use the blog, but he just asks me to show him the entries on my account. Peer pressure doesn't seem to be working.

Erin said...

It really should be a requirement.... come on Nick, join the fun!!!!