Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Voting Debacle

I made and submitted my card for the Top 20 Round of voting for Paper Crafts Magazine's Gallery Idol Contest. The editors decided they wanted to unveil a whole new website along with the Top 20 cards. Needless to say, that kind of undertaking caused some problems in the contest proceedings. The reveal date was postponed 3 times and now the log-in and voting systems are all wackadoo. They may start over and pretend like this round never happened. They may not.

In the event that they don't, I'd like to give everyone the info to vote. I have no intention of getting voted off because I never shared the pertinent information. You can go here to vote. My screen name is CreativeCritter. To vote you simply have to click on the "Love It" button. At this point I have no idea how they are counting the votes. I don't think you can vote for one card more than once using the same computer. That said, some of the contestants have voted multiple times from their computers (a few of us were emailing back and forth today trying to figure out what was going on). In an effort to stay honest, I didn't go hog wild and vote 100 times. Some people did, but that is a whole different issue. Right now I look like I'm at the bottom of the heap, but part of that (I hope) is because I haven't been out begging for votes yet today. There's always time.

Here are a couple of photos of my card. It's pretty simple, but sometimes you don't need a whole lot of ruffles and glitter...know what I mean?



Here's a close up so you can see some of the detail. The word "grateful" is made of felt.



Thanks everybody. I'd really like to get through this round. I'll let you know what happens.

14 comments:

Steve said...

I tried to vote and it said that I had already voted. What is up with that. Let me know what to do.
Good luck Liz!

Lizzie Jones said...

I tried reloading the url. I'm not sure why it would have told you that you had already voted, but maybe that will fix it. The poor editor in charge of the contest is so overwhelmed right now. She told me earlier that she wanted to do it on the old site, but "the powers that be" decided on the flashy new site. I just hope this gets cleared up so the whole system can be fair.

Erin said...

Liz the card looks great! I am on my way to vote right now!

Randi said...

I was wondering what was going on when I saw one w/80+ votes around 3:00ish!? Do keep us posted. My vote went through.

Anonymous said...

I voted! (and so did Nick!)

I have to ask- how did you cut out the "grateful" from felt? Was it a cutter-stamp? (I'm sure that is definitely not the technical name for whatever tool you use...)

Lizzie Jones said...

The grateful was an embellishment that I purchased pre-cut. The only thing I did to it was slightly change the color by smooshing it into an ink pad until it was the shade I wanted. Originally it was bright white, but I needed something a little bit warmer so I toned it down with ivory ink. This was card 4 of five that I made for the contest.

At some point I realized that putting too much "stuff" on the card just made it busy and cluttered, so I made the decision to simplify. There are some things I would have liked to change, but it's all just a waiting game now. Thanks again for your support, everybody!

Randi said...

Right - and your card will fit in an envelope!

Erin said...

This is true!

I've got my co-workers voting, so Liz's numbers should be going up & up! :-)

Robin said...

I was able to vote fortunately. KISS - Keep it simple stupid - works every time. Your card is simple and elegant!!!

Steve said...

It took my vote.

Randi said...

Glenda who owns our Curves voted!

Kim said...

I voted twice! I think it lets you vote once a day so everyone keep going back!

Randi said...

I tried voting again and it said it counted! So...what Kim said!

Erin said...

On my way to vote again!