Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday

This morning I officially became a true cashier. My past seven months at Sears have been a mere training for this very day. All the transactions I've rung and all the items I have bagged all were all leading up to this one day. The day of all days. Black Friday. So for everyone who participated in the joys of Black Friday let me just say, I hope you were nice to your cashiers. I got myself out of bed at four o'clock this morning to be at work by 4:45. I didn't even know there was such a time. All in all I have to say the day was not too bad. The morning was busy for the electronics department but the rest of the store didn't get busy until around 7. From then, even with four cashiers, we still had a steady line all day long. The people who bought things bought a lot of stuff but, most of the people were very friendly. I have to say though my favorite part of the day was my last hour. I was sentenced to door greeting. It must have been my charming smile and glowing personality that got me that job.
When I got home from work at one, I turned around and went right back to the mall to do some shopping of my own with friends. I basically accomplished absolutely nothing only buying two dvd's for myself for the grand total of 8 dollars. For those who participated I want to hear all about your own Black Friday experience please!

12 comments:

Randi said...

My mom, sister, niece and I went shopping, but...we avoided traditional malls and stores.

Momma Becker said...

I had to avoid Black Friday this year, so I slept til 11:00, when I was awoken by a co-worker bringing me some homemade bread and jam. A wonderful way to wake up.
Carl and Julie did venture out at 4:15, so they beat you, Ali, but of course they were shopping and not working. But I'm sure they were very nice to their cashiers, with the picture of their niece/cousin working so hard in the back of their minds at all times.
I'm very disappointed, though, Ali, that your trip to the mall did not include a gift for your poor, laid up aunt!

Sean said...

Ali, I'm dying to know...I was asking Liz last night if employees get more money for having to show up hours way before normal....so did you make that green or what?

Randi said...

P.S. Yes, Ali, we were very nice to the cashiers.
The door greeter at Christmas Manor was dressed as Santa, but did not have your enthusiastic personality, flare or grace!

Ali said...

Unforuntately, there was no extra money in it for me today. Just the regular rate I'm afriad. I should have refused to work unless they paid me extra!

Mike said...

Ali-who writes your material? With the writers in Hollywood on strike you might have a shot w/Leno.

Erin said...

Wow.... 4 a.m.? That time exists? I'm more amazed that you were coherant to work that shift!

I'm a retailer, so I fully sympathize, but thankfully I only had a 4 1/2 hour shift tonight (I admit, one of the reasons I volunteered to work at Pacer today was so I didn't have to do a full day at the mall!)

My 4 1/2 hours were spent bent over 2 engravers engraving so much stuff that my right thumb isn't movable & is FLAT!

::Sigh::

What can you do????

And when did you start working at Sears & how is this the first I hear about it????

Sean said...

This is the first you've heard about it, cause I just started a blog!

My BLACK Friday experience was pretty awesome, because on the way to and from work I only listened to BLACK METAL by the band Venom.

Then, at work, we were actually VERY slow unlike last year. So I made Veggie Burgers, Brined some turkeys, scrubbed the convection oven, and sent people home early.

Anonymous said...

You brined some turkeys? What exactly does that taste like? A pickle?

Steve said...

I don't understand the big deal of going to work at 5:00 am. I go to work all the time at 4:15am. I do however get paid more to do that. Take that Ali.

I told Ali the other day that she should be a comedy writer.She does a 24 hour routine around here all the time.

Erin said...

Well then Steve you should start marketing her out! You work at a TV station after all!

You could be her agent!

rocnrbn said...

Ali,
I feel for U.
Think about this for a minute.
Getting up @ 4:20 to start work @ 5:30 ,5 days a week.
I will admit that it is quiet until around 8:00. After that it's as if they open your store that early every day.
Customers? No, these are your co-workers ! A Great # of them are back-stabbing "friends" who would do anything to make someone other than themselves look bad. Anyway, it's not retail!!!
Kudo's on that driving license!!!
See U soon
Love uncle Bob
P.S. If you look close I made have even used text message abbreviating