Sunday, November 4, 2007

Notes from the Catonsville Joneses/Herberts

Hi everyone! I figured I'd post a little bit to this blog. To the right you'll see a picture of Kaylee, taken during a rare still moment. :)

Nick, Tim, and I took a mini-day trip to Harper's Ferry today. The weather was nice, a bit chilly, and the view was amazing. I decided not to worry about schoolwork for a bit because, let's face it, there are more enjoyable things to do.

For those who we have not spoken to in a while- Nick is now employed at Breakaway Games, a computer gaming company in Hunt Valley. Nick's official title is "technical artist" which means he works for the art department but also gets to do some programming when needed. He's currently working on a government project that builds disaster simulations- so it's targeted at groups like the military and FEMA. If you want to check it out, the website is http://www.mosbe.com/

I'm currently taking 3 classes, working on research and my dissertation, and working at Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital doing therapy with inpatients and outpatients. I love it. I can definitely tell that I've found my calling. My research is also going well. I've started developing a dissertation idea, which involves working in an allergy clinic at UMMC. After this semester I will only have 4 more classes- which I am ecstatic about. After taking my qualifying exams this August, I am tired of classes. I would much prefer to practice as a clinician than sit around reading articles and writing papers. Fortunately it's almost over! Oh, and in other exciting news- I am currently working on 4 publications, so I'll be a published author soon!

Thanks for setting up this blog, Sean and Liz! I think it's an excellent idea. Much love!

7 comments:

Randi said...

Hey Linda and Nick!

Glad all is going well with the two of you. I always ask about you guys when I talk to Robin.

Do send your new address.

Take care.
Love,
Aunt Randi

Sean said...

That cat looks WOUND UP! You must be dangling some catnip to get it to sit still for so long. I had to look up Harper's Ferry on the Interweb; did you know the population is only 307 people? You guys added 1% to the population today....Freaky.

Anonymous said...

Good call about Kaylee. It's not catnip though. She found a fly in the house and was watching it very intently. There was a furious chase not long after the picture was snapped.

Randi said...

I scoped out the mosbe website.
It's pretty impressive. My prof for my masters in gifted strongly recommended using simulations with gifted kids. I found a site. I have it bookmarked at school. I'll send it to you and maybe Nick could let me know what he thinks before I use it with th 7th/8th graders.

Randi said...

I got on school webmail from here at home. The website is

www.youinnovate21.net

Anonymous said...

Nick checked out the website. He said he likes the content of the site and the idea, but he thinks the delivery could use some improvement. For example, you can't go back if you want to choose a different career path and some of the paragraphs scroll faster than you can read them. He said if you assign a project that requires them to gather information from the website it would be fun and useful, but if they're just told to try it out it may not hold their attention. Is that the kind of information you were looking for?

Randi said...

Thanks, Nick (and Linda for posting). That's the kind of insight I needed. I don't expect to add this to the syllabus until 2nd semester.